Looking For Childcare? Child Care Referral Service [click here]

For Families

For Providors

To Work as a Responsible Adult in a licensed child care facility in BC

A person must:

(a) be at least 19 years old
(b) be able to provide care and guidance to children
(c) have completed a course, or a combination of workshops/courses of at least 20 hours in child development, guidance, health and safety, or nutrition, and
(d) have relevant work experience.

When you have completed these requirements you will be qualified to work:

(a) in School Age Group Child Care (licensed)
(b) in Occasional Child (licensed)
(c) as a replacement (substitute/casual on call) for ECE Assistants* (for less than 30 days) in licensed group child care centres or preschools. You may not replace a fully qualified early childhood educator. See table below based on the Child Care Licensing Regulations.

Absent Employee

Period of

Replacement employee (substitute/casual on call)
Early childhood educator less than 30 days Early childhood educator or ECE assistant
  30 days or more  Early childhood educator holding at least the same certificate
 ECE assistant  less than 30 days  Early childhood educator, ECE assistant or responsible adult
   30 days or more  Early childhood educator or ECE assistant
 Responsible adult  any period  Early childhood educator, ECE assistant or responsible adult


For more information visit: Child Care Licensing Regulation http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/ccf/child_care.html

ECE Registry www.mcf.gov.bc.ca/childcare/ece/index.htm

Approved ECE training institutions http://www.mcf.gov.bc.ca/childcare/ece/pdfs/training_institutes.pdf

Or call:

Child Care Helpline 1-888-338-6622

© 2005, PromarkDesigns.com